Digital Trends may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site.
If you’re searching for cheap video doorbells, you’re not alone. As smart home technology has taken hold in the U.S., video doorbells are one of the most popular devices people add to their homes. We survey major merchants looking for the best video doorbell deals available for Ring, Nest, Arlo, and other brands. If you’re not ready to buy or don’t see what you’re looking for in the lists below, check back often because we will update this post frequently.
Today’s best video doorbell deals
- – $70 with $10 coupon on page, was $80
- – $80 with $10 coupon on page, was $90
- — $100, was $200
- – $100, was $130
- — $120, was $199
- — $137, was $150
- – $140 with $10 coupon on page, was $160
- — $180, was $249
- — $230, was $250
- — $320, was $339
How to choose a video doorbell
Buying a video doorbell on price alone isn’t necessarily a great idea. There are a number key factors and features to consider before you push the Buy button. The following list of features will help you make your choice among the video doorbell deals above.
- Wired or wireless installation?: Video doorbells are famously easy to install, typically without power tools. Battery-powered models are the easiest of all to install because you can place them anywhere that suits your home. The only downside is of wireless installation is you’ll need to replace or, more often, recharge the batteries. Some models have option solar power accessories that maintain the battery charge. Most wired video doorbells connect to existing doorbell wiring. Making the connection is a simple matter of attaching two wires, but because the video doorbell case is likely larger than the original doorbell, attaching the doorbell bracket may be a bit more of a hassle. Most doorbells include various plates or other mounting options.
- Video quality: In general, higher resolution video is better. You can still find a few video doorbells with 720p video capture, but most devices have 1080p full HD resolution. You’ll see 2K and even 4K video doorbells, but chances are you won’t need that much detail in the video capture. Look for a wide field of video (FOV) and night vision so you can see as much as possible horizontally and vertically. Video doorbells without exception include live view and video capture features. With live view, it’s helpful also to have support for two-way talk, another universal feature (more on two-way talk below).
- Detection and alert features: Video doorbells will begin to capture and record video when someone presses the actual doorbell, but most also have motion detection and sound detection. You can set up alerts with the video doorbell app that will send a text message to your smartphone or to compatible smart home devices so you can either see and talk with people at your door or view the stored video clip at a later time.
- Two-way talk: Two-way talk gives you the ability to chat with whoever is outside your door, whether you’re just inside the door or anyplace in the world where you get a smartphone alert. Full duplex audio, the more natural type, lets both sides speak at once, which is much more natural than half-duplex setups that only allow one party to speak at a time.
- Video Storage: Video clips can be large, especially if you have a 2K or 4K video camera. Some video doorbells include free access to video clips stored in the cloud, usually for a fixed time such as two weeks or 30 days. Other plans charge monthly subscription fees for anything other than live view video. Some models store video recordings on a MicroSD card that plugs into a companion component inside your home.
- Connectivity: All video doorbells work with a mobile app for set up, configuration, and management. Most but not all also work with one or more smart home platforms, most often Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or both. Even if you don’t have smart home devices now, it’s a good idea to buy a compatible video doorbell include you later decide to bring Alexa or Google Assistant into your home.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.
Article Tags: Cheap · Deals · Doorbell · October · video