Social media has made it easier than ever to stay connected with all of our friends and family. It’s also — unfortunately — a breeding ground for trolls, and no one wants or needs unnecessary negativity in their lives. So, how do you rise above it all and block the trolls that are bothering you?
We’ll give you all you need to know with our guide on how to block and unblock people from WhatsApp. We also have some exciting tips for how to deal with strangers or unknown numbers on this popular messaging app.
How to block a contact
- Under Settings, tap Account > Privacy > Blocked Contacts.
- Tap the Add New button and find the contact you want to block from your contact list, then tap the contact and tap Block from the three-dot menu on the upper right of the screen.
- Alternatively, you can open a chat with the contact and tap the contact’s name to block them.
- Tap Block or Report and Block.
- From the main screen, tap on Settings > Account > Privacy.
- Toward the bottom of the screen, you’ll find the Blocked button.
- Tap the Blocked button and then tap the Add New button to see a list of your contacts.
- Tap the contact you want to block.
- That person appears on the Blocked page. You can add another person, but if you’re done, tap the name again and it brings you to their info page.
Other blocking procedures
There are several ways to block an unknown phone number, some of which are suspected to be spam. If it’s the first interaction you’ve had with this number, you can open the chat and tap Block > Block. Or, start a chat with the unknown party, then tap the phone number > Block Contact > Block or Report and Block.
Report and Block is more serious than the simple Block action. If you report and block, that notifies the WhatsApp database so that contact gets added to a list of reported and blocked contacts.
If you receive a text in WhatsApp from an unknown number that is not saved on your phone, you can report and block so that you never again get any messages from that number. If someone you do not know sends you spam, the Report and Block feature ensures that they do not send you more unwelcome messages, and WhatsApp can ban them.
How to unblock
It’s easy to block someone on WhatsApp, and it is similarly easy to unblock them. One common way is to tap the blocked contact and try to chat with them. You will then see a prompt to unblock them. You can also reverse the block process.
Unblock from Android
- Tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen and then Unblock.
- Tap or tap and hold the name of the contact you want to unblock and tap Unblock from the pop-up alert.
Unblock from iOS
- Go to the Blocked Contacts screen.
- Tap Edit, and then the red dot to Unblock, or simply swipe left and tap the Unblock button.
- Navigate to your blocked contact through the Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked.
- Tap the name, scroll all the way down the Contact Info pane, and tap Unblock Contact.
Blocking contacts either temporarily or permanently can prevent bullying, abuse, or simply unwanted contact with people you don’t wish to chat with for a specified period of time. The Report feature can help reduce spam across the service. Blocking doesn’t have to be forever, and you can easily give a blocked person a second chance whenever you choose.
Article Tags: Block · Messenger · WhatsApp